PANCHA KARMA TREATMENTS(PANCHA KARMA CHIKITSA)
Panchakarma means five types of therapeutic measures. These are undertaken for the purification of the body and Ayurveda considers it necessary before the start of any other therapy.
This is a process used to clean the body of toxic materials left by disease and poor nutrition and also has different therapeutic roles in number of diseases.
This will remove the excess doshas and correct imbalances in them as well as eliminate the harmful ama out of your system through the body's own organs and channels of elimination.
Panchakarma purifies the tissues at a very deep level.
Panchakarma treatments are divided into three phases of detoxifications:
- Before the actual procedure of purification there are some essential procedures called as purva karma.
- They prepare the body and make doshas fit to be eliminated.
Consists of the following steps:
Snehan (oleation therapy)
Types of snehana
- Internal snehan: medicated oils and ghee (clarified butter) are used. These help eliminate impurities so that elimination becomes easier.
- External snehan:consists of different kinds of massage using medicated oils.
Sweating is done shortly after the massage. This is normally done in a steam box.
The main course consists of five processes as follows:
- Vamana (use of emetics)
- Virechan (use of laxatives)
- Basti (Enema)
- Nasya (Nasal administration)
- Rakta Mokshana (blood letting)
Other Miscellaneous Therapies of Panchkarma
- Kati Vasti
- Thala Dharan
- Hrid Basti/Uro basti
- Janu Basti